Author Topic: Colt Paterson  (Read 1164 times)

Offline mayonardo

• Global Moderator
  • What Would Paladin Do?
    • View Profile
Colt Paterson
« on: July 14, 2012, 06:22:19 PM »
Saw this at the great history museum in Canyon, Texas.
I'd take this over an SR1911...

Mayonardo
iPad & Tapatalk
Mayonardo

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." - Last words of General John Sedgewick before being shot at 500 yards at Spotsylvania by a Confederate sharpshooter using a Whitworth rifle.

mukwah

Re: Colt Paterson
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 07:05:35 PM »
I don't know Mayo, tough call!

Offline framedcraig1

• no fear...Ruger is here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 07:39:03 PM »
Beautiful wheelgun Mayo!! They used the 32 cal quite a bit back then. Mukwah...yeah think we need to let Mayo have this one and we'll work out the SR 1911 thing..;)
Grandkids make it...alright.

Offline RICHGCOOP

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2012, 08:46:28 PM »
I like the COLT WALKER.

RICHGCOOP

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

Offline gunjunkie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:19 PM »
Isn't that a great Museum? I live about 25 miles from there and have been there a lot of times, but not since they redid the Western Town that just reopened a couple of weeks ago.
We the people are the Rightful Masters of both Congress and the Courts. Not to overthrow The Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert The Constitution.

Abraham Lincoln

Offline framedcraig1

• no fear...Ruger is here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2012, 08:51:30 PM »
Grandkids make it...alright.

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 02:22:48 PM »
I like the COLT WALKER.

RICHGCOOP

Ditto.

Offline Trigger_1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 04:09:36 PM »
Mayo just wants to buy another holster you guys...... ;D ;D :D :D :D

mukwah

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2012, 04:21:27 PM »
New Game Plan- Get the holster just in case you get the gun! Makes sense to me!

Offline Slowhand

• Support the right to self defense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2012, 12:14:57 AM »

I've always been a fan of the Colt Paterson and have seen several originals. The earlier ones didn't have loading levers that came later. Id love to own an original.  But that $300,000. Price tag sort of puts me off. So I had to settle for an Italian Replica made by Pietta, an Italian Company.  Pietta and Uberti (Another Italian Company) used to manufacture replicas but ceased to do so a few years back.

Loads of history is what I see when I look at them. The replicas are made from better metal than the originals but when they followed the original design they go it too right. They duplicated the complicated, watch like mechanism with flat springs and extra parts that got eliminated in later production models like the Colt Walker, Army and Navy Revolvers.

It's still an interesting old revolver though.

I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

Offline RICHGCOOP

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2012, 12:23:07 AM »
That is a nice patterson. I'll bet it's a lot of fun to shoot. Have you put many rounds through it?
 There's nothing like black powder to get your blood stirring.

R I C H G C O O P

Offline Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2012, 01:27:01 AM »
That is a nice patterson. I'll bet it's a lot of fun to shoot. Have you put many rounds through it?
 There's nothing like black powder to get your blood stirring.

R I C H G C O O P

Looks great but.... Like I wrote earlier they got it too right in the replication of the original design. Difficult to load, I used a loading stand versus the separate loading lever, which was too flimsy. It didn't handle very well and I wasn't impressed with it.

Of course I could be a bit spoiled by some of the stuff that came later when Colt Improved his design in revolvers. I'd rather shoot a Colt Navy any day than a Paterson. I took a Ruger Old Army to the range on the same day and there was no going back after that California Girl, decked out in stainless steel, went to work.

As for the Paterson, it's a bear to disassembly and reassemble, so after I got her cleaned up she has been sitting in the safe.
I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

Offline mayonardo

• Global Moderator
  • What Would Paladin Do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 06:51:31 PM »
For an excellent history of the development of the Walker and its role in Texas history - original Rangers and those who fought the Comanche on horseback - read "Empire of the Autumn Moon". An outstanding book about the Comanche and very historically accurate. I have a bachelor's degree in cultural anthropology from the University of Oklahoma, and my degree focus was on plains indian cultures. Much of what has been written about the Comanche, and the long war the Texas, Mexicans and others fought with them is riddled with myth and inaccuracies. This book isn't, and it's a damn good read.
Mayonardo

"They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." - Last words of General John Sedgewick before being shot at 500 yards at Spotsylvania by a Confederate sharpshooter using a Whitworth rifle.

Offline Slowhand

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:21 PM »
For an excellent history of the development of the Walker and its role in Texas history - original Rangers and those who fought the Comanche on horseback - read "Empire of the Autumn Moon". An outstanding book about the Comanche and very historically accurate. I have a bachelor's degree in cultural anthropology from the University of Oklahoma, and my degree focus was on plains indian cultures. Much of what has been written about the Comanche, and the long war the Texas, Mexicans and others fought with them is riddled with myth and inaccuracies. This book isn't, and it's a damn good read.

Interesting. Thanks for the recommendation.

Show Unread Posts