Author Topic: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum  (Read 1299 times)

Offline Slowhand

• Support the right to self defense.
    • View Profile
Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum
« on: June 15, 2012, 11:46:49 AM »

When it comes to .44 Magnums my favorite is a Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan. Sarah is a beast, with a 2 ½ in barrel.  I was in North Dakota in the 80’s and have always been a fan of the Blackhawks and Redhawks but those long barrels sort of put me off.

In April 2010 I ran into this one at a LGS and it followed me home.

The first range trip didn’t go well. She was a hoot to shoot and those rounds were roaring down range, but…She had a UN even trigger pull and there were arc marks on the hammer that I didn’t like.

I called Ruger Customer Service and explained my concerns. A couple of days later UPS was at the door, she was going back to the Mother Ship for some after production work. Per advice of some other good folks, I’d written a letter explaining that I’d own a few of their other products and what my concerns were.

After she’d been there a few days, I got a call from the Gunsmith and we discussed the problems. He said he’d fix it up. Sure enough when she got back later that week, I took her to the range and all was well.

She’s one of my favorite carry pieces but is limited to mostly fall and Winter Carry. I had J. R. Roscoe and his daughter, in Ft. Worth, Texas, make me a custom shoulder holster for her. Due to her weight the holster part had to be made from heavier antique leather.

The Alaskan was designed as a Trail Companion for those moments when you just don’t think laying down and playing dead for a bear is a good idea. If I lived in Alaska she’d be a .457, at least. But down here in SC the predators are a bit smaller, so a .44 Mag will do the job.

I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

Offline Yogi 117

• View Profile
Re: Ruger Super Redhawk Alaskan in .44 Magnum
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »
Nice .44 Mag. Sure it could stop most any predator! Yogi  8)

Offline Fred

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 04:04:00 PM »
Nice one, slowhand. Actually, that gun is on my list of what I need. Well, not really need, but definitely want!   ;D

Offline Slowhand

• Support the right to self defense.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:42 PM »
Nice one, slowhand. Actually, that gun is on my list of what I need. Well, not really need, but definitely want!   ;D

You betcha! There's a big difference between the needs and wants, especially when it comes to weapons.
I don't carry a weapon looking for trouble, I carry one in case trouble finds me.

mukwah

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 05:48:56 PM »
I think I really NEED one! Who knows when you might run into a bear or mountian lion or something!! Gotta be prepared! Love the Alaskan! 8)

Offline Trigger_1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:40 PM »
Slowhand.....Where is your Zombie ammo....... :o :o :o

Offline RICHGCOOP

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2012, 12:45:20 AM »
    Theres nothing like a 44 MAG.   Nice gun.

RICHGCOOP

Show Unread Posts